Monday, January 15, 2007

A case study on why you should never get your hopes up

This is a lesson I should have learned already. Getting your hopes up can lead to dissapointment. Luckily I've dealt with enough dissapointement that it doesn't leave as much of a sting anymore.

This past weekend I was supposed to sing in a cover show in Texas. I had been led to believe I would do something similar a year and a half ago and it fell through. This was the first crashing of hopes. When the show that was supposed to transpire a few days ago was being planned I had been asked to participate. Hopes increase. Then in October I was asked to not participate for a Very Stupid Reason. Hopes plummit. I plead my case to other people involved in the show, they say "Fuck that, dude, come sing with us" and again my hopes rise along with my determination to hold my ground and not let Very Stupid Things get in my way. My determination did cause some scufling to transpire between myself and the person responsible for inviting and uninviting me, but a musical truce was made.

Unfortunately my schedule did not allow me to stay in Texas through the date for the show, so I decided a weekend trip was well worth it. Practices went well and I had a general feeling that everything would be fun, not to mention the fact that I was growing more validated over other issues. Hopes were almost at their peak. The show was also supposed to represent a moment of closure on something that has put a huge strain on my life for the past six months (longer really). For the first time I really felt good about everything and almost felt peaceful. I was supposed to come out on top and rock out at the same time.

But let's go back to the title of our blog post.

A nasty cold hit me almost as soon as I got back to Texas a few weeks ago. I figured it had run it's course about a week and a half ago and there would be no problem when the show rolled around. That was a terrible assumption to make. Flying back to New York (and colder weather) then flying back to Texas (with high cedar counts and a cold that got to everyone) as well as an immune system that has seen better days subjected me to the Nastiest Cold Ever. I was popping back the decongestants, throat losanges, expired Dayquils, Nyquils, expectorants, and throat sprays like they were going out of style. My voice was absolutely shot by Saturday morning and I couldn't go 10 minutes without a coughing fit. Plus I wasn't terribly rocker sexy with my eyes red and poofy and tissues in a ready position by my nose.

That was big dissapointment #1.

Now for big dissapointment #2. Something people should know about Texans - they can't drive when it drizzles, is dark, or if temperatures drop below 70 F. The weather took a nasty turn on Friday evening and from the sky came that thing called rain, and lots of it. Forecasts were also calling for freezing temperatures in the next few days and people were worried about flooding and ice. SO stuffy, expired Dayquil loopy, Wild-Eyed Rose gets a call Saturday afternoon that the show she flew all the way from New York for had been cancelled. It was kind of a sad sight.

There were a few other dissapointments, but they are not quite as blogworthy. All I can say is that even when you think you know someone better than anyone else, you can be in for surprises.

In all fairness, I had a good time practicing for this shindig. I got to hang out with some people I hadn't seen in a while and was able to meet others who are really cool. Also I was told that since I had paid good money to come out for the show that never was, when it is rescheduled some people will help me with the plane ticket. BUT I will take a cue from the lesson learned. I will not get my hopes up.

What's funny is that today I'm feeling much better. Granted my voice is still subpar, but it still cheeses me off that I have to be completely out of commission when something so important to me was supposed to go down. At least I didn't make a complete ass out of myself, right?

At least that is out of the way now and I can focus more on my studies. Hey... are you laughing? I'm being serious here.

Ok I guess that is kind of funny.

1 Comments:

At 2:06 PM, Blogger Dr. Brazen Hussy said...

Dude. That totally sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home